In June of 1910, services were held in the Lost Creek community northeast of town. Later services were held on the streets of Jacksboro and a protracted meeting was conducted southwest of Jacksboro near McDowell’s gin. These were conducted by Reverends Oscar Jones, J.L. Jones & Jodie Thomas.
Returning to Jacksboro, the services were held in the homes of members of the congregation. For three or four months, services were in the home of J.T. Calhoun at what is now 401 N. Second St. They then rented a building on the north side of the square about where City Hall now stands. Later they built a church in the southeast part of the city at the intersection of S. Church and McComb streets. The church called Oscar Jones as Pastor. Deacons were C.E. Neal, T.J. Bowlen and Woodson Massengale.
The church was officially recognized as an Assembly of God church on June 21, 1917 by the General Council of the Assemblies of God. Early minister were Reverend Dobbs, Reverend Lane and Reverend Oscar Berryhill. During the years 1923-25 and 1935-36, Mrs. Effie Reeves was the Pastor of the church. Reverend H.O. (Jack) Abshier was Pastor 1934-35. Reverend R.D. Zook, Professor at Shield of Faith Bible Institute in Fort Worth, was Pastor in 1936-37. Reverend Fletcher Joyner became Pastor in 1937. Shortly after, the congregation sold the property on S. Church Street and purchased property on Stewart Street (now Second Street). During the building of the rock church, the congregation met in an abandoned cannery building on Depot Street.
The first service in the new church was February 26, 1938. Reverend Oscar Jones, son of the first Pastor, conducted the first revival in the new sanctuary, beginning March 6, 1939. Reverend H.M. Savage and Reverend Guy Shields also conducted revivals that year. Pastor Joyner died February 18, 1941.
Other Pastors were Reverend J.O. Yates (1941-42), Reverend H.M. Savage (1943-44), Reverend Lee Roy Helms (Interim 1944), Reverend H.A. Medford (1944-45), Reverend Edd M. Bice (1945-47), Reverend J.T. Horner (1947-50), Reverend C.U. McMullen (1950-55), Reverend James L. Harmon (1955-57), Reverend S. M. Malone (1957-61), Reverend D.W. Calcote (1961-64), Reverend Roy H. Carpenter (1964-89), Reverend Mike Matheny (1989-91), Reverend Earl Arnold (1991-93), Reverend John Stell (1993-95), Reverend Mike Matheny (1995-98), Reverend Charles Reed (1998-2000), Reverend Shannon Gresham (2001-08), Reverend Joseph E. (Ed) Tallon (2009), Reverend Richard W. Cleghorn (2009-present).
In 1946, the first Sunday school facilities were constructed. A second Sunday school expansion was in 1949. The sanctuary was remodeled, expanded and bricked in 1957. The old Sunday school annex was razed in 1965 and a new one constructed. In 1980, additional property was purchased and a new sanctuary was constructed with the old one being renovated to include additional class rooms and a fellowship hall.
First Assembly of God
321 N. Second St.
P.O. Box 932
Jacksboro, TX 76458
Phone: (940) 488-9080
Or use our contact form.
All the latest news and events from our community.
Currently our service times are:
Sunday Mornings - 10:30 a.m.
Sunday Evenings - 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday Evenings - Temporarily Suspended